Sunday, March 6, 2011

Stay Flexible

Photobucket

©PinUpToons
www.pinuptoons.com



I used to say I would NEVER want to work at night. I’m a morning person. I would much prefer to get up early, do my work for the day, and then relax at night.


Well, experience has taught me that getting up early in the mornings can have its drawbacks. For example the neighbours aren’t ready to turn in at the same time as I need to go to bed in order to be all bright eyed and bushy tailed for a 4.30am rising. They are still out clattering and banging, and shouting from room to room to each other while I am laying there gritting my teeth and wondering if I will ever get to sleep.


My circumstances changed and now I actually do work at night. Guess what? To my surprise I don’t mind at all. It’s great not having to rush off in the mornings – not having to try to get to sleep early at night. I can potter around and get all my housework done in the mornings, rather than have to come home after several hours of cleaning and attempt to do it then. I can make appointments in the morning, instead of having to specify afternoons.


And I go to bed at night because I’m tired, not because it’s my accepted bedtime. That means I actually sleep rather than tossing and turning the night away.


I used to say I loved the heat. When I told everyone I was moving to Queensland they all asked how I would cope with the weather. I told them, ‘Not a problem. I love the Queensland weather’


Well I certainly prefer the heat to the cold, there is no doubt about that. But it’s one thing to go somewhere hot and steamy on a holiday, and entirely another thing to have to go out and work in those kinds of conditions. The heat and humidity can be totally draining and I often find myself almost wishing for summer to end.


So what is the point that I’m trying to make here? Life has taught me the importance of remaining open minded and flexible in my thinking. I’ve learned that my ideals; my personal preferences and beliefs can change just like everything else in this world of ours. It really doesn’t do to be too dogmatic in my approach to anything.


We never stop learning, about the world around us and even about ourselves.
©Lyn Murphy 2011

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

Glad to see you're blogging again. I agree that we learn to be more flexible as we get older. I once thought that I could never stay in bed later than 7.00 a.m. Now, if I have the chance (which is pretty rare) I love to stay in bed with a cuppa and enjoy a good read of my book. Last Sunday I didn't get up until ten to nine.

I must say I've never liked the heat so Autumn is such a wonderful relief isn't it?

Maybe we should all just "go with the flow" a bit more and try something different.

Thanks for another great blog.

Ros xx