Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Simplicity

Photobucket


I saw a marvellous quote on a School Billboard as we were driving past and I thought – I must remember that. It would make great subject matter for a Blog.

Of course, when I got home, I discovered that I couldn’t remember the wording of the quote, so I spent ages ‘Googling’ - but to no avail. And then the irony of the situation struck me. The quote I had been chasing was all to do with how wisdom is learning the art of simplicity. Yet there I was getting all frustrated because I couldn’t find the proper wording for the quote, when all I really needed to do was to paraphrase.

Simple really. Yet the simple answer is often the one we most easily overlook.

A problematic situation darkens our door and we launch ourselves into a frantic quest for a solution. Then, when we are about ready to start tearing our hair out in sheer frustration, some one comes along and says ‘Why don’t you just …?’ They offer us the simplest solution imaginable, and yet we know instantly that it is the one that will actually work.

It’s always easy to see how the Jigsaw puzzle fits together when it is completed. It might have looked like such an impossible task when it was all scattered over the table in a multitude of pieces. But no matter how big the puzzle might be, it is still a matter of just fitting the pieces together to form the intended picture.

I found another quote in my travels.
“Wisdom begins at the end” – Daniel Webster.

©Lyn Murphy 2011

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Lyn,

You are so right about taking a round about journey to a simple solution. I think we are all sometimes guilty of this. I know in my own case, I try to analyse a problem/situation to the nth degree, when instead it would probably be better to ignore the extraneous thoughts or worries and just think about the nub of the dilemma. Easier said than done for me - or for most worriers I suspect.

When you wake up in the middle of the night and remember the exact quote, think of me.....lol.